Can anyone tell me procedure for locking hubs for 4x4 mode

All about performance,service,spare parts

Moderator: UMMM461

DangerCell
Incepator
Incepator

Can anyone tell me procedure for locking hubs for 4x4 mode

Post by DangerCell »

Aro 10 seems to have problem engaging 4x4. Has anyone experienced this?

I lock hubs. Reverse a couple meters. Shift to 4x4 low and still only seems to be rear wheel drive.

to try and figure out why I have tried this while driving slowly with someone looking at front axle::
1. unlocked hubs, in 4x2- Axles DO NOT rotate
2. locked hubs, in 4x2- axles DO rotate
3. unlocked hubs, in 4x4 - axles DO rotate

So it seems engine is putting power to axles (through transfer case etc...), and it seems hubs are working because wheels will rotate axles while in 4x2 BUT in 4x4 with locked hubs no power is going to front wheels. Rear wheels spin, get no help from front wheels...it is a 4x2 right now.

Has anyone experienced this?

Has anyone had a failure in hubs, axles, or transfer case that caused similar symptoms?

Any advice on where to look for problem?

Thanks so much...

Soryn
Membru legendar
Membru legendar

Re: Can anyone tell me procedure for locking hubs for 4x4 mo

Post by Soryn »

lift a back weel with a jack,engage 4x4 transfer case,end look at the 2 front drive shafts, they shod speen, at least one of them,switch the ghearbox to neutral, lock the hubs,engahe 1'st speed in the ghearbox the car shod move in front, end jump from the jack, if the car is not mooving,end the front 2 driver shafts speen, one of the loking hub i'ts not loking the axle shaft to the hub, there is the problem.
Mey bee a grease problem with the hub loking divice,pour maintinance, as usualy, forgothen mecanisms.
DangerCell
Incepator
Incepator

Post by DangerCell »

Thanks sorintvy...

I found it to be drivers side hub not engaging...took it apart, and the parts looked fine BUT i had a problem, maybe you can tell me why it is not working.

I took it apart and cleaned all the parts (could not really get the gear inside the hub but cleaned the rest). They were really gummed up with old shitty grease

I used a molybdenum gear grease to coat everything. And put it back together. BUT the "gear ring" did not seem to slide in the splines of the hub smoothely...was sort of "sticky" and wanted to bind up when trying to push it in with my fingers...

I thought that if the mechanism was pushing the ring that it might work but I needed to "help" it a lot to engage and disengage though...

What did I do wrong? Wrong grease? Does the ring have to go in in the exact same spot to work correctly?

Anyone else have a sticky gear when they put the locking hub back together?

Thanks!
DangerCell
Incepator
Incepator

Post by DangerCell »

I fixed both locking hubs...thanks for the input SorinTVY!

You were right SorinTVY, I think the grease in there was original romanian stuff! Looked more like clay than grease! But in addition, A local mechanic damaged them!

The plastic pieces that push the gear into the locking position were completely deformed...must have been forced into place crooked...I had to reshape them with knife, files, and sandpaper....now they operate smoothly...

I would like to now service the bearings but I need to find parts before i take it apart. If the bearings were "maintained" like the hubs I will surely need at least the seals (Simering palier roată). Anyone know where to get these or know of seals from other vehicles that are the same????

Thank you!

Soryn
Membru legendar
Membru legendar

Post by Soryn »

Hub beearings?
Hub seal?
Hub grease seal 50x70x10
Hub bearings 32008A auto 32008x Jx etc.
Front end rear, 1 seal + 2bearings on each weel hub.
This part's you will find them at a store specialized in bearings/seals/transmision belts, if the part's you need arrent in the store ,they will order them .
For the weel hub bearings, use secial grease , or a multipurpose grease,butt, the operating temp must be betwin -40 to + 140-180 Celsius grades.Grease without graphite, lithium based or somthing .
Downt use cheap china bearings, the hub will brake apart in pices.
DangerCell
Incepator
Incepator

Post by DangerCell »

Yes, hub/wheel bearings and grease seals!

Thank you , thank you, thank you!!!

I also need to find out what the part numbers are for:
1. all the steering joints. 2 of them need to be replaced, and the other 2 need the grease seals/boots replaced.
2. The oil seal for the differential, where the drive shaft goes in. Leaking...

Do you know part numbers or where to get these too?
I surely need a manual!!!!!

Thanks again!