ARO 328 TD MAXI. Pregatire de expeditie.

All about performance,service,spare parts

Moderator: UMMM461

SVEY
Incepator
Incepator

Re: ARO 328 TD MAXI. Pregatire de expeditie.

Post by SVEY »

SVEY
Incepator
Incepator

Post by SVEY »

I want to put a larger fuel tank. What advise? ???
alex
Membru legendar
Membru legendar

Post by alex »

Some 320 take two tanks, both factory made.
U need to look first if u have any space.
Jerrycans are also an option , land cruisers in africa frequantly go with 4-5 jerrycans on roof rack.
happily mending an Aro 320 D127
ydaniel
Membru legendar
Membru legendar

Post by ydaniel »

Make a custom fuel tank,made of stainless steel!

UMMM461
Membru
Membru

Post by UMMM461 »

First of all, loose the tires you have now. I used that profile it is no god on snow and mud. Bad performance.
Also DO NOT use remanufactured (recip/recycled) tires, they are too heavy and you destroy the suspension and U-joints. I tried such tires and the U-joints were damaged quite fast. Suspension was no problem because I had front solid axle, but on Aro you have IFS. I used Japanese made U-joints. The other Italian producer of recycled tire I tried was Ziarelli, the tire together with the rim weight exactly 40kg. Way to much stress on the drive train. A normal tire weight about 26kg
Also I used recycled tires from Pneus (Italian) and a chuck of about 15 cm broke loose while driving. Another friend of mine used recycled tires from a Spanish producer (Insa Turbo) and the tire simply cracked on the side after 1 year. He had this experience twice with the same producer aon two different cars with 2 different set of tires.
Also do not use tires more that 32’’ because the engine is small and in you will have poor performance on the road. I used Ziarelly 32’’, recycled tires and with a 2.4 toyota gasoline engine I could not drive safely more than 75-80 kmh and top speed on highway 90kmh. Now with, 32’’ normal tires I drive safely around 110-120kmh and top speed 140kmh.
Also recycled tires cannot be balanced so you will destroy steering and drive train on the IFS of the ARO.
Also on electrical winch DO NOT use T-Max, bad experience will stop working when you need it. I made good experience with Superwinch. When you calculate the winch put 2 x max weight of the car, also carry with you a snatch block. Car should be equipped with 2 batteries with battery insulator circuit that allows to charge separately. Use one battery for the engine, headlights, etc, and the second one, as big as possible for the winch and additional accessories.
Also do not use plasma rope for expedition purposes, because although it is lighter and you can wind more meters on the winch and it is more easy to use, it is more sensible, does not tolerate winching trough rocky terrain without protection.
If you do not want to use different seizes on the battery, you can skip the battery insulator, put both battery in parallel electrical circuit, but the batteries must be identical. I do not recommend this option for an expedition.
Also you should by a HiLift (farm jack). The farm lift can also be from T-max. It is recommended to keep the farm jack inside the car. If you keep it outside you have to clean and grease it before use otherwise it might jam.
SVEY
Incepator
Incepator

Post by SVEY »

Thanks for the comments. What you're writing is quite clear things. I'll use a wheel size 31, 2 Battery and would like a bigger tank.
UMMM461
Membru
Membru

Post by UMMM461 »

SVEY wrote:Thanks for the comments. What you're writing is quite clear things. I'll use a wheel size 31, 2 Battery and would like a bigger tank.

Leave the original tank as it is, at an additional tank with separate gauges outside the car in between the chassis.
Seek inspiration from the additional fuel tanks for Toyota. Carry with you pivots as spare parts. Replace original wheel locking hubs with AVM wheel locking hubs. Also carry with you 1-2 U-joints as spare parts.
UMMM461
Membru
Membru

Post by UMMM461 »

I forgot…Aro, older army model had a retractable curtain in front of the radiator. Manufacture one, in very cold weather will come to use.
UMMM461
Membru
Membru

Post by UMMM461 »

Also do not use wheel spacers. It is drastically reduce the lifetime of your ARO IFS, especially ball bearings and pivots.
SVEY
Incepator
Incepator

Post by SVEY »

My tank is in need of repair. The easiest way to get rid of him. That's why I want a new one.
SVEY
Incepator
Incepator

Post by SVEY »

UMMM461 wrote:I forgot…Aro, older army model had a retractable curtain in front of the radiator. Manufacture one, in very cold weather will come to use.
Yes, I have it.
UMMM461
Membru
Membru

Post by UMMM461 »

pivot=ball joint
UMMM461
Membru
Membru

Post by UMMM461 »

SVEY wrote:My tank is in need of repair. The easiest way to get rid of him. That's why I want a new one.
My suggestion is to repair it, if it can be done, and add a supplementary fuel tank.
UMMM461
Membru
Membru

Post by UMMM461 »

SVEY wrote:Yes, I have the ARO 328. I plan to install 33 "wheels, reinforced bumpers, front electric winch, snorkel and 2 luggage on the roof. Perhaps I will install an additional fuel tank and a tank of water under the second row of seats, and I want to hang two spare wheels on the rear bumper. There is a desire to establish a framework safety of approximately the same as set by the Defender. I agree that the berths should be in the car. On the roof will be boxes of spare parts and other equipment.
Do not put 2 luggage roof racks on the top. If you add too much weight too high your ARO will drive lich a boat!
I tried that, but not on an ARO. I tried it on a Toyota 70 with reinforced suspension (300kg+ on the back and 200+ on the front) without wheel spacers. It was like driving a boat. I could take turns at low speeds otherwise I was in danger of rolling on a side.
CristiDi
Membru
Membru

Post by CristiDi »

Any news ? ;D
Pasiunea nu are limite!
O tara fara cultura e o tara fara viitor!